1. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

sad2.gif

2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Oh, I'm so sorry...I only thought about leaving out of choice:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Emjay, my first thought was the same as yours.

4. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Yes, reminds me once again of my hope that I will be around for the release of the 1921 census.(I will be very annoyed if not)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 40 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,667 new entries have been added and
    • 87 relatives have been matched.
    Only 1 figure up this week, and that was New Matches. Lucky I chose this week to add lots of people to LC otherwise the figures would be well down. Has everyone gone away for half term and Easter?:(

As Peter rightly says, the new members figure is a net figure, it's just the overall increase in the membership numbers compared to the week before.

So I used FTAnalyzer this last week to show me which people I can add to Lost Cousins, so much easier. And now FTA has a Lost Cousins Referral Report, to help you identify which relatives you have in common, to make easy for you to select them for your referral.

Good Luck everyone!!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
    graph01.jpg

6. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 59 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,979 new entries have been added and
    • 75 relatives have been matched.
    2 figures up this week, so hopefully when those new members start adding their relatives we'll see some more increases.

So again I used FTAnalyzer this last week to show me which people I can add to Lost Cousins, concentrating on my "Yellows", check out the Colour Census Report, there is just so much useful info in that report!!

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, I made another match :) This does go to show that the more you enter then the more likely you are to match with someone.

So use FTA to identify everyone you can add from the 1881 census, if you've created a Lost Cousins fact then this report will only show who you have left to enter. Otherwise you can download both sets of data to excel and do some manual comparing or get excel to match it for you.

Good Luck everyone!!

graph01.jpg

7. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 192 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 6,568 new entries have been added and
    • 446 relatives have been matched.
    What a great week, all 3 numbers up. Big jump in new members, so hopefully more entries and matches for the weeks to come! And if they use FTAnalyzer like I have been to identify who I can add, then it won't take them very long either!!

Big rise in relatives matched, I hope you guys are making some great connections.

This weeks figures gave a ratio of 14.7, so every 15th person entered on average got a match.

A bank holiday coming up for the UK, so a good time to download FTAnalyzer for the first time if you haven't already tried it, and see all the lovely reports.

Good Luck everyone!!

Clipboard01.jpg

8. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Wow, that's impressive! We're on a roll!

9. Tim

Certainly looking good! Great job "Charty"!!

10. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 135 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 4,569 new entries have been added and
    • -605 relatives have been matched.
    New members and new entries up but something strange with matches. Not sure what's happened so it might correct itself by next week.

Having a negative figure has wrecked the graph layout so I'm going to show it as 0 until its sorted itself out. I'll report the actual numbers here.

Good Luck everyone!!

Clipboard01.jpg

11. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Did some really committed supporter die and their entries were removed?

12. Tim

I think someone closed their account.

13. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That's right, Tim - and it was someone who had never entered any relatives themselves (all their matches were with the cousin who referred them, and/or his cousins). It emphasises how, of the three statistics that Red Dragon tracked, the number of relatives matched is the least meaningful in the short term.

I'm glad to say that since the cousin who made the original referral is still a member the chances of other members getting a match hasn't changed in the slightest as a result of this individual leaving.

14. Tim

That's a good point, the number of entries is key. The more we all enter the more likely we, and others are to make a match.

15. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Is there some form of other statistic that might be made available to track that would be more meaningful? eg: something like a match potential ratio so if 10% of unique people have been entered for say the 1881 census then the match ratio would be 1 in 10 new entries would likely be a match. I'd suspect the match ratio for other than the 1881 wouldn't be so good as its the one that's been on the go the longest.

Or are you able to work out Peter how many entries were affected by that member closing their account which say it was 650 would mean that Red could update his stats to take this out of the equation ie: this weeks number would be 45 instead of -605 if the one member closing the account was -650. (-650+45=-605).

16. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 51 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,208 new entries have been added and
    • 99 relatives have been matched.
    Bit of a slow week this week, coincides with an upturn in the weather and possibly people exploring the Lives of WW1 website.

We haven't caught up with the 605 deficit yet but 99 matches this week.

Good Luck everyone!!

graph01.jpg

17. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 34 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,120 new entries have been added and
    • 104 relatives have been matched.
    Bit of another slow week this week, but I'm confident that we'll get an upturn soon.

We haven't caught up with the 605 deficit yet but 104 new matches this week.

Good Luck everyone!!

graph01.jpg

18. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 36 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,638 new entries have been added and
    • 46 relatives have been matched.
    2 numbers moving up, but still very slow at the moment.

We haven't caught up with the 605 deficit yet but 46 new matches this week.

I have now been collating this data for a year, so here are some impressive numbers for the last 12 months.
    • 2,828 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 178,206 new entries have been added and
    • 8,996 relatives have been matched.
    This gave us the figure of just under 20 for relatives added that produced a match.

Good Luck everyone!!

graph01.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

Thanks, RD, for all your hard work. I do like watching the stats, as I guess others do.

20. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Peter generously awarded me a four month extension to my LC membership on the strength of the number of new additions I made to my lost cousins in the past four months ( from a four month Ancestry subscription) BUT I haven't had a single bite. I did hope by adding mainly relatives by marriage I might get to hear from someone new; I am not going to give up because it was this effort that prompted me to look more closely at the 1911 census. That in turn directed my attention once again to the 1914-1918 war records and encouraged my interest in the Lives /IWM site etc.etc. It is never a wasted effort to add more cousins because as has been mentioned elsewhere just the surnames and locations can sometimes jog us out of a rut.

• Agree Agree x 1