1. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps because no one posted a link on the forum so we didn't know the blog existed?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi John,

There may have been blogs, tweets and posts, but none were on the forum. And as the remainder of the people on the forum didn't know who was going, and nothing has been posted about who or where we could follow these bogs or posts, all of us stay at home types have missed out on all of the fun.

I've followed your link (once you follow the link, do a CTRL+F search on sunshine and the links appear on the left) and that is exactly what I was hoping to see here on the forum. Well written and very enlightening. Excellent posts Chris Paton :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Thanks John, I had a quick look earlier and could well become a follower.:)

4. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

If Chris has a big following for his blog, we could well see a mass influx of new LC members; he certainly made persuasive case - and presumably reaches people that we don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Johnhanson

Johnhanson Speaker

I personally don't like forums coming from the old days of mailing lists and also spending a lot of time away from home find them frustrating. I can't speak for the attendees but must of the posting about the conference were either in Chris's blog or on Twitter by the other lecturers. I don't follow Chris's blog but rather follow him on twitter.

I find reading the short headline easier and I the story looks interesting then it is just a click away. Chris has nearly 2,500 followers on Twitter.

6. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Thank you for that Johnhanson, and as a result of your post I took a look at the blog. I had to scroll back to see his comments about the speakers and their subjects, and particularly found this of interest...

....What was truly shocking to discover from Donald's lecture is just how different the published 1841 census returns can be from the primary source - in the examples he gave, we actually saw family relationships recorded, correct ages recorded before being rounded down by the enumerator in the published return, and a truly lengthy list of occupations - as indicated by the householder himself/herself (apparently the only census where they had free reign to describe what they did themselves) which were later standardised in the enumerator's records to fit pre-determined categories. It was almost night and day between the household schedule and the enumerator's return, to the point that two people were in fact listed on one household schedule, and their names then crossed out - and those names did not subsequently make it to the extracted return....

I wish that some of the subjects talked about in Genealogy in the Sunshine had been recorded, or at least that there was a transcript of each lecture, so that those of us who couldn't go would be able to have access to the information. I feel like I have missed out :( and even worse, I cannot see me being able to go in the future either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Liberty

It all depends....
    I have never taken to Facebook, and Twitter is mystery to me. I really hope they don't replace other formats - I don't miss mailed-out paper newsletter, though!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Johnhanson

Johnhanson Speaker

I haven't taken to Facebook either

However I do sign up to all the newsletters that I can as it is the best way to keep up with what is going on in the genealogical world. by the time that it appears in a magazine these days it is old news. but then magazines do have other uses. They are what can give you the clues about the ways of doing things that many newsletter do not.

9. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Yes it looks like it was very interesting. It would have been nice to be involved but it just didn't work out this year. Shame no one thought to post a link to the blog on the forum. It would have been good to feel at least partly connected with the event as it happened.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Don't feel too badly about this Carla as I think that Peter has 'promised' to summarise the most important/interesting points in his newsletters.
    Anything that we learn from that will be a bonus that would not have been available if Peter had not arranged for GitS to take place.

As a non-participant, thank you Peter, in anticipation of what is to follow.

Carla, you are not alone in feeling left out and unable to join in, for whatever reasons. I am sure that non-attendees have missed out but that is true for many other events too. Nobody can get to everything that is available. Fortunately, we are members of the LC community (and this forum) so don't miss out completely.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. Liberty

Well, this was the first time, and one of the things about first time events is that you pick up ideas about how to do things better the next time. And it looks as if there's sure to be a next time!

12. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Well said, Liberty.
    I was on the course and although Chris gave us the link to his blog, I only managed to read it when I got home.
    I did not realise how much he had said about the course until then, and I was going to post the link, but Johnhanson beat me to it.
    It sounds as if you all enjoyed reading about it as much as me.
    The course was very well run, but Peter gave us a feedback form with lots of questions to answer so that anything that can be done better next time will be. We were all assuming there would be a next time, but I think that will be down to Peter. It was a lot of work for him, even though we all tried to help as much as possible while we were there.

13. Katie Bee

Donald's lecture was the highlight of the course. We were all spellbound at his discoveries, a lot of which we can take to other census years.
    All of it coming out of a research project in Canada.
    The main example of transcription error that stays in my mind is the 'Sir' who wrote his ordinary birth name on the census return followed by his wife and children. The enumerator changed his name to his official title "Sir name on the census Bart", so the transcription for the 1841 census lists the whole family under the surname BART.

And we wonder why we cannot find some of our relatives in the census!

14. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 53 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 3,290 new entries have been added and
    • 94 relatives have been matched.
    :( Not a very busy week for members, all the numbers are quite low. If you're not using FTAnalyzer then you need to give it a go, it will help you find who can be added to Lost Cousins, and a whole host of other data reports, unlocking the data that your hold in your Family Trees.

Peter's mentioned it, but how many people have referred anyone? It's pretty simple to do and it's a great gift to them, so go on, try it.

Hi John, thanks for the link, but unfortunately these details weren't published. Maybe that could be added to the lessons learned, users of the forum didn't know what was going on...

We don't want tweets!! We want posts, isn't that the whole point of a forum??

Good luck everyone and well done!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
    graph01.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Katie Bee

Thanks Alexander, this will help me.
    I upgraded from an old program to one with census facts, and I am trying to update the records so the census information is in the correct place. Hopefully this will make it easier to find out which records have the census notes.

16. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 31 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,287 new entries have been added and
    • 146 relatives have been matched.
    Only 1 figure went up this week, and that's right, it was new matches! This gives a new entries to match ratio of just under 16, which means that on average, every 16th person added got a match.

So you know what to do people, that's right, add 20 people now! Good Luck everyone!!

graph01.jpg

17. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 43 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,330 new entries have been added and
    • 74 relatives have been matched.
    2 figures up this week, which is encouraging. I've been adding quite a few people to my tree so I'm off to use FTAnalyzer this weekend to show me which people I can add to Lost Cousins.

Good Luck everyone!!

graph01.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  18. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, Red Dragon - you're doing a great job.

By the way, it's worth mentioning that the statistic calculated for new members is a net figure - it's the number of people joining less the number who have left over the same period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

What?! people actually leave :confused:!

20. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Sadly all of us have to leave one day.....