1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Making the most of a Norfolk visit....?

Discussion in 'Norfolk' started by Britjan, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I have a dilemma,which I am sure is a common one for those of us who ventured overseas but have strong ancestral roots the British Isles and Ireland. Thanks to now looking for third cousins (and the far branches of my tree) those roots have a wider spread in some cases and a remarkably close knit one in others. I will be back home for a visit this year and have a couple of days to spare that could be spent in Norfolk or one of the adjoining counties. I have mentioned on another county site that I have no real sense of my deep roots in Cambridgeshire and since they were all very close to the city of Cambridge I am not certain there will be much left to explore apart from a couple of churches.
    My Norfolk roots on the other hand I always knew something about and it seems that spreading out from Norwich in the triangle from Great Yarmouth to Cromer there would be a lot to explore and hopefully some still unspoilt. Pretty well every parish in the area has a link with some part of my known or conjectured family from the 1841 census and 1881 census, and some even earlier.
    I can certainly check to see what churches are still open but I wonder if there are forum members who know the county well and could tell me what might give me a sense of the area. I am happy to p.m. other members unless the subject appears to be of more general interest.

2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Good luck on your research, Britjan. Some years ago I followed up on some family ties in Kent - all the usual things, graveyards, etc. and found the locals most helpful. Coincidentally, a branch of my husband's family came from an adjoining village to mine and there is a possible marriage between the two families:D.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

As you know, most of the Norfolk records are online at FamilySearch, so there's not much you're likely to discover about your ancestors by visiting Norfolk churches. However there are a surprising number of churches in Norfolk with thatched roofs, so you could make that one of your objectives.

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Elsewhere on this county's sub-forums mention has been made of Simon Knott's lovely photos of Norfolk (and Suffolk) churches. Although I am always cautious of Ancestry links, "Find a grave" has proved quite useful in providing photos and inscriptions for Norfolk. Unfortunately the one public tree I had high hopes for because it had a Canada connection, had a death in Norfolk and subsequent marriage in Canada 20 years later for the same person. :eek:

5. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Peter is quite right that there is good online coverage of Norfolk (hurrah!) and not just from FamilySearch. You may well not pick up more information (unless you immerse yourself in the Records Office, which might not be the thing for family holiday!) However, I would guess that simply seeing the area where your relatives lived, the churches where they were christened, married and buried, etc. would be a special experience. Also, the county goes in for attractive churches in general, has nature reserves, etc. and is probably well worth a visit.

My personal knowledge of Norfolk is extremely limited but I can recall a visit in my childhood when my grandfather was ill in Great Yarmouth. My mother spent the day with him and my father took me and my brother on his choice of a tour of the locality. I was struck even then by the churches - and the long columns of names on the WWI war memorials, with much shorter ones for WWII.

6. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

If you have Great Yarmouth roots then a visit to the Time and Tide museum is a must, while you are there have lunch in the wonderful cafe on site (the herring sampler plate is a must) there is a pay and display car park just across the road.
    I live in Norfolk so am happy to help with any questions and if you fancy meeting up during your visit let me know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Thank you Adrienne, it would certainly be fun to meet up, and I very much enjoyed a visit to "Time and Tide" during a visit to Great Yarmouth which has a long association via my grandmother. I imagine you are familiar with the Norfolk County Archives and I think it will be worth a return visit during my stay. Will p.m. you once my travel plans are firmed up.

8. Bee

Bee LostCousins Superstar

You may not learn much more than you already know but taking photographs of ancestors graves is a way to remember your trip and an alternative if you don't have an actual photo of the person concerned. My photos file is full of graves and churches to make a link to various individuals, it makes them feel more real and not just names. Have a great trip Britjan.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1