1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Internet Explorer 11 not responding to 'reply with quote'

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yesterday IE 10 updated itself to IE 11 via auto update and is now in operation. (I am using Windows 7 by the way). The first discussion today that I wanted to respond to by clicking on 'reply with quote', opened a new box (at least the cursor was flashing in a new box) but the 'quote' part was not showing. I tried several times using different discussion items, but the same effect. (Nor did it appear when clicking review):D

I logged out and back in but no change. I even re-booted and the same thing happened. Finally I used another computer and chose the Firefox browser and logged into the Forum. I found the discussion I wanted and clicked 'reply with quote' and it performed as it should. I duly posted as intended.

I am writing this again back with IE 11 and as a new discussion it will almost certainly post OK. But does anyone have any idea why the 'reply with quote' is failing to action? Yes I know that switching to Firefox is a solution (or rolling back to IE10), and perhaps that will be necessary, but as a creature of habit and actually someone who enjoys using IE(and IE 11 is supposed to be even better) I want to continue using it if possible.

If anyone has an idea why 'rwq' has stopped working I shall be pleased to hear. :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Bob Spiers

I sought advice from an IE forum who advised me to roll back to IE10. IE11 was produced for Windows 8 but recently Microsoft brought out a version to work with Windows 7 and of course included it as an update as I accept updates automatically.

Judging by comments by others who have experienced similar - irregularities in use, compared to IE10 in Windows 7 - rolling back cured the situation. So as I seek a peaceful life I have rolled back and will keep an eye out to ensure it does not update again or until I am prepared to give it another go.

To roll back go to Control Panel/Windows Update/View Update History/Click on (in this case) Internet Explorer 11/then select Uninstall. It will need a restart. If it shows up again (assuming you have chosen to Auto update and it allows you to view before installation) you can simply withdraw permission by un-ticking the item. To prevent it cropping up next time elect to Hide it by right clicking and selecting Hide Update. If you wish to install in future there is a 'restore hidden updates' tag on the Windows Update page. (Or of course just use Firefox or Chrome)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Bob, thanks for the info - IE seems to be causing all sorts of problems.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Alternatively, if you don't want to downgrade or switch to a different browser, navigate to the forum then go to the Tools menu in IE and click "Compatibility View settings". If you then add forums.lc to the list of sites you'll find that it works fine.

[Posted using IE 11.0.96]

• Thanks! Thanks! x 4
  5. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Thanks Peter that works fine.

6. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Thanks Peter, very simple yet effective. However I'm trying to master Windows 8.1 and start from 'Tiles'. This does not bring up the tool bar which had me scratching my head for a while:oops: So the penny dropped eventually to start from Windows 7 screen . This is possible because I downloaded "Classic Shell" from which you can decide e.g. XP or W7
    as an alternative to W8.

This may be of interest to others with Windows 8 machines.

7. Bob Spiers

Yes I have used used Classic Shell with W8 (on my laptop) ever since it was recommended by my Computer Mag back in the summer and wouldn't be without it. It simulates W7 (or a previous version as emjay says) and I use it almost exclusively. Note however if upgrading to 8.1 (as I recently did) you need to update your version of Classic Shell as well. It's easy to do just click update and it will find the newer version.

8. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Yeah done that Bob.