1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1911 Census

Discussion in 'Ask Peter' started by Daviles, May 3, 2014.

1. Daviles

Daviles LostCousins Member

I am having difficulties understanding which numbers to use when I am adding a new family group for the 1911 Census. I have original copies from either Ancestry or Find My Past, but on all of the forms there appears to be missing numbers. On the original copies that I have, only the schedule number is visible and the rest has been blanked out. On the information that I have written down none of the numbers seem to correspond with the number that I am required to add. [N.B. I am no longer a member of either of those websites]. Here is an idea of the written info. that I have RD497 ED13 Piece 26656. [these numbers are for Eccleshill, Bradford]

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a name?

But from the data you have provided, the form should look like this, where xxx is the schedule number that is on the document itself.

Capture.PNG

3. Daviles

Thank you Tim, I literally have 100's of census images on file. I either downloaded them from Ancestry or Find my Past, but didn't realize at the time that they had blanked out the piece number and only the schedule number is still visible at the top of the page. I want to add these records to my ancestors page but cannot because I do not have the correct information.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

I primarily use FMP and have always saved the census transcription as well as the actual record - this includes all of the record details.
    Having recently switched to using Family Tree Maker as the main software for my tree I took advantage of the Ancestry membership that came with it and refreshed my census entries thinking that it would be useful to have a proper citation recorded and without me having to type in all of the details.
    After reading this post I checked the citations in FTM only to find that none of these details are recorded in the citation - a very slapdash citation in my mind - what are FTM / Ancestry thinking?
    If I want to correct this I will have to go through all of my saved FMP files to add the detail to FTM and then find the census record on FMP for the ones I have recently added from Ancestry - what a chore:mad:
    As I know I have several new records that need entering in to Lost Cousins this will have to be given a high priority.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Tim

What does your citation info look like then?

This is what is in FTM2012

Class: HO107; Piece: 826; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Tynemouth; County: Northumberland; Enumeration District: 4; Folio 27; Page: 1; Line: 16; GSU roll: 438889

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The detection of census references and displaying them is a new feature I've added to FTAnalyzer recently. This should aid you finding what you have in your tree so far.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. trebor

This is strange - I have just looked again - this time at a different entry = 1851 and the details are there but when I look at the 1861 entry for the same person obtained at the same time there are no details included.
    Records from all other censuses that I have checked for other people are complete - I wonder why I have several different citations for 1861 without the detail - I have checked several different families in different parts of the country and the absence of detail is the most common. I am using FTM 2014 but I doubt that this would be the cause of the issue as the data comes from online searches. In the majority of the 1861 records I have checked the Citation detail box is empty - fortunately this will not affect my Lost Cousins entries.

Do you have any 1861 citations missing detail?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. trebor

I must plead guilty to not having used FTA for some time now - I have spent the majority of my Family Tree time following waving leaves while I had the Ancestry subscription. Now that has expired I will no doubt be able to get back to my normal routine and with the help of FTA bring my Lost Cousins up to date - I will have to explore the new feature to see if it helps with any not found yet and those with missing data.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Daviles

I have found that some census records have the necessary citations but other do not. That has been causing a problem for me. I have downloaded FT analyzer but am still trying to work out how to use it. I am a slow learner but once I get the hang of it I will be fine.

10. Tim

There are other discussions where you can post any questions, so please do. There are lots of users on the forum now, and obviously Alexander (author of FTAnalyzer) is around as well.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Going back to the original question, the only two references you need to enter relatives from 1911 on your My Ancestors page are the piece number - which is shown in the transcription - and the schedule number, which isn't in the transcription at either find my past or Ancestry, but is on the forms (in the top right corner.

12. trebor

Sorry to disagree Peter but in Ancestry both details can be included in some citations but in others only the Piece(similar to the comments I have made earlier in this posting re 1861) on FMP the transcriptions I have checked include full details but not having checked all there may be some that only include partial detail. I would definitely say that there are variations in Ancestry's records but I cannot be that certain about FMP other than to say that in the "old version" the full details were in the transcription but I have not managed to obtain sufficient records from the "new version" to determine if it has changed.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Daviles

On the majority of 1911 Census records that I have, only the Household Schedule Number is visible. There are no other official numbers visible on the images. I have been able to add some of the 1911 records to my ancestors by visiting other websites where they have transcribed the census records. Luckily, for me, some have included the Piece number.

14. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That's right, the Schedule number is the only reference on the census form - the Piece number is in the transcription.

The only reason images from earlier censuses show the piece number is because they were photographed, and a slip of paper with the piece number was placed under or to the side of the form.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tim

Yes. I have missing details for 1861 and 1901. I have raised it with the so called helpdesk.

After 2 weeks, many emails, and creating a test family tree where they could add the census, they finally agreed that they weren't being added.
    Then they sent it to the developers........

16. trebor

Thanks for the info Tim
    Do you think it worthwhile me contacting them as well?

17. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Yes the more people quote the same problem the better.

18. Tim

I just hope you don't experience the same grief I did!