1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Burial in unconsecrated ground

Discussion in 'Roman Catholic ancestors' started by Susan48, Nov 25, 2023.

1. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I'm not sure this is the best place for the subject but it does concern the burial of a Roman Catholic.

In July 1899 a 57-year-old man named Joseph McCabe was buried at Kingston Cemetery Portsmouth. The record is available on Findmypast in the Hampshire, Portsmouth Burials dataset. The image of the entry contains some interesting extra information, namely that the burial was in a Catholic slot 9th row 30th grave, and also in unconsecrated ground. Joseph had been resident at Union House, Milton.

I do not have a copy of Joseph's death certificate, but does anyone know why he should have been buried in unconsecrated ground?

2. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

My understanding is that consecrated ground in a modern cemetery has been blessed in accordance with the rites of the Church of England. People of other faiths would therefore usually be buried in unconsecrated ground.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

This is from the New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia, talking mainly about municipal cemeteries:
    Since this must have happened quite often, and it's something the Victorians thought important, it's not too surprising there were standard ways of dealing with it. And acts of Parliament - like the Consecration of Churchyards Act 1867.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Thank you for the helpful responses.
    And would someone please correct my spelling slip in the title of the thread? It was done in haste.