1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

It all started with a question.

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by Underdown49, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Underdown49

Underdown49 LostCousins Member

I had never taken much notice of my family history until my 9 year old son asked me "Who was Grandma's Grandma?" I realised that I had no idea. So I asked my mother, who lived nearby. This prompted her to tell me the answer. The next day when I saw her she had thought of more information. And again the next day, and the next. Eventually I decided to write down what she had told me. Then I realised that I should record the information, and sought the local genealogical group to find out what to do. And that was 40 years ago - and I'm still at it! The next challenge is to write it up for the future - and that will take some time.
    I have learned so much more than I expected - about history and about the people I have spoken to who have shared their stories. I have also travelled from Australia to the places where my ancestors came from a number of times - always learning more each time.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Welcome to the forum Underdown49 (clever name) where you will find lots of help if you need it.

3. Underdown49

Underdown49 LostCousins Member

Thank you for your welcome