1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Probate Registry Wills

Discussion in 'Wills and probate' started by Pauline, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Reminds me of when I ordered a death certificate pdf from the GRO last year and got the wrong one back - oddly, it was for someone of a different name who had died 40 years after my ancestor in a different part of the country. They rectified the mistake within a few days of me reporting it.

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

My wills which were delivered before the due date (see my previous post) were dated 1885, 1941 and 1966.

3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Sorry, this should of course be 1858-1996.

So there seems to be no obvious correlation between age of will and speed of delivery.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Bear in mind that the wills were (and possibly still are) held by probate registries around the country, and that only the most recent wills are likely to have been scanned.

5. LynneP

LynneP LostCousins Member

I've now ordered two more wills - different dates and registries than previous wills still not received. Curiously the confirmation email still says orders to be made available in 10 working days. I think they've had ample time to change the wording to reflect the high demand. Let's see what happens this time.

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It's different from the GRO, where there are everything is done by government employees, so they can give honest assessments of the delivery time - the probate service have contracted out the wills service, so it's possible that their contract specifies a 10 working day turnaround.

7. BrianM

BrianM LostCousins Superstar

I ordered 8 on 29 July, dates between 1927 and 1979. Not a thing as yet :(! Their 10 'working' days is now at 40 and still counting! And not a word (from them) about the delay or an indication of revised timeframes. Not good client service - but we have to deal with it because they have the monopoly in this space :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Serena

Serena Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

I requested 2 sets of Soldiers Wills and received them within the time but still waiting for the non Soldiers ones so there must be separate teams or processes for the Soldiers Wills

9. Serena

Serena Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

Just checked my emails and I requested the non Soldiers Wills on 26th and 27th July and the date ranges were between 1898 and 1972 so some more recent ones in there but none received yet.

10. Hammer

Hammer New Member

It's been so long ago that I ordered a will dated 1942 -I totally forgot about it until the latest newsletter! I ordered on 1 August, estimated delivery was 10 days. So I make that 50 days and not a single word heard back from them!

I trust them - so I'll wait patiently. The Probate Office is a long way from Australia so I'm not going to complain just yet.

11. Gclarke

Gclarke LostCousins Member

On 29 July I ordered 13 wills dated between 1863 and 1933 - from different registries, including the Principal Registry - I haven’t had a single one yet.

12. Julien

Julien LostCousins Member

I ordered 2 on 29th July and one on 15th August - still waiting! They really should have put some sort of apology and time estimate on their home page. Not good customer service.

13. BarryR

BarryR LostCousins Member

I've just started a one-name study for the surname Selves, so this change of price came at just the right time. I ordered a batch of 25 on 24th July and had received them all on either 26th or 29th July. A second batch of 14, also ordered on 24th July - gave an expected delivery date of 8th August. I haven't had any of those yet. It seems clear that they expected most uses of the service to be current probate issues, rather than genealogists. I have over 120 more I want to buy - but I shall wait until I get the current batch. I guess the only good thing about the delay is that it has given me time to do justice to working through the first 25 and building the family trees for each person.

14. Lana

Lana LostCousins Member

I ordered four in total (dated 1918, 1936, 1945, 1956). Two were estimated for delivery in August but haven't been received yet. I sent a query on 13 September but have not yet had a reply.

Order placed Estimated delivery
    29 July 2019 13 August 2019
    30 July 2019 14 August 2019
    13 September 2019 28 September 2019
    13 September 2019 28 September 2019

I hope the demand doesn't cause them to reconsider the price.

15. Willibrod

Willibrod LostCousins Member

I am also still waiting for 3 wills .Estimated delivery date was 19 August . I hope the wills are worth the waits .
    I sent two email got a apology and the excuse given unexpected demand .

16. LynneP

Lovely surprise! A will ordered 15th Sept. for delivery by the 30th. came today. Date of will 1870. Probate Newcastle.
    Wills ordered in July (Durham), still not here.

17. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Update on wrong record sent: Today I received a reply to my query regarding the wrong entry sent to me, they apologised and promised they will send the correct one asap.

18. Lana

Lana LostCousins Member

The ones I requested recently arrived today but still waiting for the ones ordered in July.

Order placed Estimated delivery Delivered
    13 September 2019 28 September 2019 30 September 2019
    13 September 2019 28 September 2019 30 September 2019
    30 July 2019 14 August 2019 Still awaited
    29 July 2019 13 August 2019 Still awaited

19. LynneP

An update on my wills. Second will ordered 15th September arrived today right on time. Still nothing for the July wills. The September wills are dated 1870 and 1918 both Newcastle. The missing July wills are 1912 and 1918 both Durham.

20. BarryR

BarryR LostCousins Member

It sounds like they are attempting to deliver all new requests within the timescale - whilst the old orders have gone into a backlog black hole!