1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Facebook and Yahoo failures

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by At home in NZ, Sep 8, 2019.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Looks like a complaint to me.....

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I can say amen to that, the only responses I can rely on is when I use their own personal media preference, and Whats App wins hands down with more or less instantaneous replies. If I send a gift voucher via email to my Grandson in Bermuda, I need to remind him by WhatApp to pick it up. The only ones I know I can safely rely on to get back to me by email, is my daughter in the UK and my sister in Australia. Of course for genealogical contacts I prefer emailing to Ancestry messaging (once set up) as that seems to work really well.

But with friends and family I tend to use WhatsApp, SMS (text) or Facebook Messenger. The latter having grown in popularity of late and favoured by family. Indeed I have just used Messenger exclusively to arrange a family meet up with cousins in Birmingham later this month; responses were good. That of course is a pointer to the fact that family and many friends use Facebook and I personally wouldn't be with it or Instagram (also owned by Facebook) for sharing family news and photos. I also join Facebook Groups that interest me - genealogical, old photos, local area photos, hobby interests, etc., which I find particularly appealing and informative.

Each to his own of course and in contrast my wife likes to phone people - and here I emphasise land line not mobile. She has a mobile (a simple phone not a smart phone) which is rarely switched on, and she has a tablet which is used to play the odd offline game or to Google something that takes her interest; but checking email but rarely. So much so I have -with her blessing - set up a laptop tab to allow me to access her email which I check every other day or so to alert her when someone has had the audacity to email her which I think she should see. She has even been known to request I reply for her, but I refuse so she then has the option to phone or painstakingly reply using her Tablet.

To be fair to my wife she possesses the most beautiful copperplate handwriting and anyone who is aware of her writing knows instantaneously it is from her by the envelope...and her 'C' card envelopes are a joy to behold.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I recently complimented a LostCousins member on her beautiful handwriting - she had just renewed her subscription - and she wrote back "Thank you for the compliment! However, at 96 I find my handwriting is getting rather wobbly."

4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I have just made my wife aware of your posting Peter, and as she trails the lady in question by some 20 odd years, I told her she has way to go (deo volente) before her wobbles set in. But how lovely to earn a compliment for one's handwriting when aged 96.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1