1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Website security?

Discussion in 'Ask Peter' started by CarolB08, Jun 16, 2019.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Morning Peter recently my browser Firefox updated and now when I go to log into this site it throws me an insucure connection warning, all dire and dark warnings about passwords maybe getting stolen :eek: however I am sure it is just their new security warnings going slightly overboard and am not worried. But it might scare others so I thought I would just mention it to you.

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Are you using the secure log-in page with https (rather than http)?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Good tip Good tip x 1
  3. CarolB08

Do you know Pauline I had no idea so I just went and looked and it was this http://forums.lc/genealogy/index.php so I added the s and it worked perfectly, I had absolutely no idea there was any difference and it has only been since the browser updated that I was getting this message. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Pauline.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Pauline

Peter upgraded both the Lost Cousins site and the forums some time ago to enable secure log-ins. It was announced at the time, and there is still a banner notification about it here on the forums. If you’ve dismissed the banner notices, you can bring them back by clicking on your name at the top of each page and selecting Preferences, and then just tick the box at the bottom,

5. CarolB08

No I have dismissed nothing, it was litterally only the other day when firefox updated that I was getting that message, the web site was loading perfectly before then.

6. Pauline

I think we may be talking at cross purposes here. :)

The banner notices that I was referring to are those which appear at the top of every page on the forums until you click the little 'X' in the top righthand corner of each one, thus closing - or dismissing - them. These are put there by Peter, and there are currently 7 of them (including one on "Secure log-ins now enabled") and, on the homepage at least, they scroll through in turn. These are nothing to do with messages which individual browsers may from time to time display, such as the warnings you received from Firefox after updating.

Many frequent users of the forums will, once read, have closed - or dismissed - the banner notices Peter puts on the forum. Anyone not seeing these banner notices on the forums will presumably have closed them after reading. However, it is possible to bring them back to read again by following what I wrote above.

7. CarolB08

Morning Pauline, I have checked the banners are still there, its because they scroll I may have missed the updated security message, however my issue had only shown up after firefox updated, up until that point the saved website address I had been using was still logging me in with no problems. But never mind thanks to your advice I have updated my log in and am getting on the site with no problems at all. So problem solved.

8. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You must have been using a very old version of Firefox - it was the first browser to start issuing warning messages. The easiest way to access the forum is to type 'fo' in your browser - it should fill in the rest (unless it's a very long time since you visited the site, or you've cleared your history).