1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Was this bairn really NAUGHTY?

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by peter, Mar 1, 2019.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Although the spelling NAUGHTIE is better known, the spelling NAUGHTY was the more common version of the surname in the 19th century. So I reckon that NAUGHTY was the child's middle name.

• Agree Agree x 10
  2. brickwall

brickwall Member

I agree . It's more likely to be a middle name than a comment on the child's behaviour ! The official Scotlandspeople website also sees it that way , for the index ( which I went through en route to viewing the original image) shows 'George Naughty' as the forenames of the deceased child . I can't however so far find a baptismal record of the child .

The surname Naughty is certainly found in that era and in that part of Scotland . The 1851 Scottish Census shows 45 people with that surname , all but one living in Aberdeen, or in nearby counties . So Naughty might have been a family surname in an earlier generation , or the surname of a close family friend as a tribute to whom the child was given Naughty as a middle name.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. VMS

VMS LostCousins Member

Or does it mean naughty as in nought, zero, as he being so young had no occupation? Otherwise I agree with the surname idea, like Jim Naughtie the radio presenter.

4. peter

If so it should be apparent from other entries in the same register - at that time a large proportion of deaths were of infants.

5. Claire_T

Claire_T LostCousins Member

On an upper floor of an old downtown building in Vancouver, I used to pass a door with "Young & Naughty" painted on its windows. It probably opened to an accountants' office, but I always wondered....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MeganN

MeganN LostCousins Member

My thoughts exactly. Returning today to the whimsical blogger's site I see that after a handful of sentimental comments there are now numerous ones giving the middle name explanation. A couple of these add that the Scots name Naughtie/Naughty is pronounced Nochty/Nockty. So decidedly not a case of Naughty by name, naughty by nature.

7. peter

Probably from readers of the newsletter....