1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Managing reference checking

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Alexander Bisset, Feb 17, 2019.

1. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

I spotted this previous post after making my comments . It looks like a possible solution so will give it a try.

2. trebor

I checked my list of ancestors before making that comment and the section I looked at was a random list of individuals without their family.
    After closer inspection I have found that the ones examined in detail are duplications and were probably added by FTA because the GEDCOM data differed to the correct data previously inserted manually.
    However the suggestion to differentiate the checked from the unchecked by adding a comment would probably work regardless of the sort method - I had not known before that by doing this a symbol is inserted next to the entry which would easily tell me that a record has already been checked.

3. CathyR

CathyR LostCousins Member

The symbol is just a paperclip which tells you a note has been entered, all the FTA added entries have one, so the existence of the paperclip won't tell you the entry has been checked, you will need to mouse over it to see what it says.

4. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Unless you don't normally add such notes and then remove the FTA note when the record is checked.

5. trebor

I have not previously used notes so the only ones with notes are the ones uploaded using FTA and all of these have been checked. I intend to add a note (very basic - just the # symbol) to any records that I check in the future so that if there is an indication of a note I will know that it has been checked. Obviously if I use FTA to upload more records I will need to use the date sort to determine which they are so that they can be checked - hopefully Alexander will introduce a function so that I can limit the number of records to help manage this. Although he may have already created a function to check the records before uploading - I have not kept up to date with all of his improvements to an already wonderful program.

I have started to check my older entries and so far all of them have been correct - I entered these a long time ago so cannot remember what criteria I used but it appears that I may have been following Peter's rules and no corrections will be necessary - will still continue to check though - better safe than sorry.