1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

WWI Soldiers from the Commonwealth buried in the UK

Discussion in 'More British Isles Resources' started by Britjan, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I thought this might be a useful heading for all resources regarding the above group. Most of the soldiers that are in this category have an interesting story regarding how they came to be buried in the UK. As a general comment CWGC is very easy to search in various ways including force served with e.g. C.E.F, regiment, burial date , cemetery etc. The results can be downloaded to a Excel spread sheet for further sorting. The only criticism I have so far is that the soldier number was not formatted as a number ( at least in a database of 260 names I worked on) but some odd text format and doesn't sort properly.

2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

For those interested in Canadians I stumbled upon this recent resource . The couple who run this site are trying to recoup a few out of pocket expenses but they do appear to do a good job and there is quite a lot of free material to look at .

3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

While this does not only apply to Commonwealth soldiers the CWGC records have a number of useful attachments i.e. Downloadable PDFs on occasion.
    Here's a young man I've mentioned elsewhere Francis Patrick Woodford scroll down and you'll see not only 2 ( sometimes 3) records for Grave Registration, and 2 for the final permanent headstone BUT also a record headed "concentration." Here is a description "These record details of individuals who were originally buried in smaller or isolated cemeteries, but who, at a later date, were exhumed and reburied in war cemeteries. The concentration of cemeteries allowed otherwise unmaintainable graves to be moved into established war grave cemeteries where the Commission could ensure proper commemoration."
    That is not the only reason as these exhumations do not always include removal to another location but they are all of interest in completing a relative's records.

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I just wanted to revisit this page to confirm that my link to Francis above is still viable, and yes it does show the new CWGC format!!