1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

I just found an unknown brother

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by AdrienneQ, Aug 18, 2017.

1. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

I sent my DNA off to Ancestry on 1st August and got my results back yesterday showing an unknown 1st cousin.
    I sent him a message last night and it seems I have just found an unknown Brother. We have exchanged messages and will be talking later. As you can imagine I am in shock.

2. Susan

Susan LostCousins Member

I am also in shock - I also posted my DNA sample to Ancestry on 1 August. It was only logged as arrived on 15 August and I had the email this this morning (18th) to say they've started processing it. How can 2 samples posted on the same day have such a difference in testing times? I know there is an unusually high demand at the moment due to the 25% off offer, but that should have affected your sample as well (your profile says you are in the UK like me) :confused:

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Yes, I can imagine. I take it this is a half brother?

DNA testing has the potential to turn up the unexpected, as does all genealogy research, and when it involves someone close to you it can be a big shock.

It happened to me personally in a lesser way when I first started researching. Also once or twice since then I have been approached by a distantly related researcher only to realise I had come across somewhat sensitive information about a close relative of theirs that they were until then unaware of.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Remember that these forum posts can be seen by anyone - be careful what you post as it might compromise someone's privacy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Looking forward to hear what you find out Adrienne, but to Peter's point, best not mention any names.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Peter thanks for the timely reminder about the access to these posts.
    I spoke to my elder half brother yesterday and we had a great conversation.
    I understand our father offered to marry his mother but she said no, this was just before WW2 so everything then changed.

We will be in contact again (in fact I will be emailing him in a minute)

I think I will leave it there because of the confidentiality, just to say all is good

• Thanks! Thanks! x 6