1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

"Home Children "- Canadian Government Records

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Britjan, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I am currently helping some families who have discovered in many cases, and always known in others that their relatives came to Canada under one of Home Children schemes. Some of the families are at the stage where they are ready to remember their relatives at the IWM Lives of the First World War. I thought it was worth refreshing our collective memories about "home children" in general.

The phrase "Home Children" is used in Canadian government records and applies particularly to the children brought to Canada under the auspices of "charitable organisations" such as Barnados, Middlemore children and Fegan Homes. Below is a direct quote from the site
    "Between 1869 and the late 1930s, over 100,000 juvenile migrants were sent to Canada from Great Britain during the child emigration movement. Motivated by social and economic forces, churches and philanthropic organizations sent orphaned, abandoned and pauper children to Canada. Many believed that these children would have a better chance for a healthy, moral life in rural Canada, where families welcomed them as a source of cheap farm labour and domestic help.( emphasis is mine)
    After arriving by ship, the children were sent to distributing homes, such as Fairknowe in Brockville, and then sent on to farmers in the area. Although many of the children were poorly treated and abused, others experienced a better life here than if they had remained in the urban slums of England. Many served with the Canadian and British Forces during both World Wars."

Library and Archives Canada (LAC) has a number of unique and extensive records about British Home Children, such as passenger lists, correspondence files, inspection reports. They are mostly in English and the site is quite easy to navigate.

Certainly many of the people I have chatted to on line paint a less than rosy picture of this British social experiment. There were still children coming to Canada under these schemes well after WWII and the stories continue to range from heart warming to heart breaking.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Similar schemes to Australia with similar results, it seems.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I'm planning a trip to London in November and noted there is an exhibition about Home Children on from 24th October 2015 to 12 June 2016.

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

If you happen to find a record involving a "home child" you were not already aware of on your family tree I strongly advise contacting one of the advocacy groups in the country they emigrated to. There are mixed feelings about "outsiders" interpreting their history and experiences particularly in public spaces including shared trees.

5. AnitaCM

AnitaCM LostCousins Superstar

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2016
  6. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

7. Lynda

Lynda New Member