1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Using Scotlands people for the first time

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by CarolB08, Dec 27, 2016.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Hi all, I have recently discovered an ancestor married in Dunbar, Scotland, to a man in the Army, I have located the marriage details on Scotlands People but have never used it before and do not know if I order the marriage certificate will it be like the one I get from the certificate online people? Will it cost the same and take the same time or longer to arrive ?
    Thank you.

2. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Register with ScotlandsPeople, Log In, purchase credits, locate the certificate of interest in the search results. When you click on view image (6 credits) a pop up box appears asking are you sure, say yes & the image of the certificate will open. You can then save the image to your computer to be used as you wish. Images are an exact copy of the register being simply a digital photo of the page. The quality varies a little but are usually quite readable.
    I think the cost is quite reasonable, certainly cheaper than purchasing a cert through 3rd parties. Most BDM certs are 6 credits, 10 pounds buys 40 credits I think & as searching is now free you only pay for the images you actually view.
    Hope this helps,
    Regards, Vicki

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. CarolB08

Thankyou Vicki that was a great help, I had already registered and found what I wanted but thought I needed to send off for a paper certificate at £12 plus postage, but thanks to you I know have the image of the marriage entry safely on my laptop. One happy lost cousin member here :)

4. Fern49

Fern49 LostCousins Star

I paid for credits from Scotland's People only to find that the marriage record I was wanting only listed the 2 names & looks to be 1 witness?, nothing else was listed. It was a church record from 1830. So I'm no further ahead.

5. CarolB08

I suppose that is the same as the parish marriage register entries from our English marriage registers, the bride, groom, and witness names, no Parents or occupations, it makes it very difficult to progress. I sympathise with you.

6. Heatherblether

Heatherblether LostCousins Member

Indeed - with the newer site you get as much info on the first page as you do register for some entries - though others do have witnesses etc - its a chance you take.