1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

What has happened to Family Search ?

Discussion in 'FamilySearch' started by Heather, Jul 26, 2015.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Quite a few people email me saying that this or that website doesn't work, and if it works for me I recommend they try Chrome instead of their current browser. Hardly anyone comes back and says they're already using Chrome, and most of those who switch find that their problem has gone away.

2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I have no trouble getting into Family Search with Firefox.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SandraHS

SandraHS LostCousins Member

Thanks. that's the next thing I'll try. I have a Mac.

4. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Ah, it must have been referring to installing a flash update being unnecessary with W10

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Just as I was reading the last posting from Pauline I noticed a banner heading -white on black- advising "Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin 'Adobe Flash' from running on http://forums.lc. - with the option to 'Continue Blocking' or 'Allow'. I chose to continue blocking with no visible effect for the moment at least.

6. Tony

Tony LostCousins Member

I found earlier that the ability to upload multiple files at once in the LC Forum requires Flash.

7. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I guess my point was, that as FamilySearch clearly state their support for recent versions of most commonly used browsers, it is perhaps misleading to suggest that switching to Chrome is the best solution.

It is, of course, standard procedure to try an alternative browser if a website declines to work in your preferred browser. But even if the site works OK in a different browser, that doesn't mean you have to ditch your preferred browser. It may be that a few tweaks in the settings, such as enabling cookies for the site, or disabling an add-on will sort things.

If people want to switch to Chrome, that's fine. But I wouldn't want to suggest to anyone that they would be better off using my preferred browser, as we all like different things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I was getting the very same message Bob which began after I tried to update/install Flash. I uninstalled eventually it was beginning to annoy me.

9. SandraHS

SandraHS LostCousins Member

So far so good with Chrome. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. pjd

pjd LostCousins Star

I've had no probs with either Safari or Firefox on a Mac

11. Bob Spiers

Yes me too emjay, I will be glad when it is a distant memory.

12. Bob Spiers

I agree entirely Pauline and would you believe more or less (and more or less is important) I like most Browsers for one reason or another and use them all on differernt computers. My current favourite is -wait for it - 'Edge' which grows better with each update even though it has way to go and still has some idiosycracies. I do not chose IE these days but it sometimes chooses me, or at least a specific update selects IE and no other. I use Chrome almost exclusively on my main laptop for email and for browsing, whilst on the one alongside (a much older laptop) I graduate between Opera & Firefox with each browser set up to open with specific web pages. On my two main PC's I flit between Edge & Firefox and for specific reasons. On these machines I rarely use Chrome, although like IE a software update might select Chrome for its own built-in reasons. The only specific Google thing I do prefer is its Search Engine, although sometime Edge needs a little persuading and a Bing box round the ears.

Of course for the technically minded (to which I lay little claim) there are some supporting reasons behind each Browser. Edge for instance still wins hands down for power consumption (important for laptops), Firefox is still the only 'open' browser (although gradually losing that claim to fame having caved to Apple). Then there are little niggles with browser add-ins -'to have or not to have that is the question' , boot times, security isses and pesky Adobe Flash. :( As you say Pauline... we all like different things and I add for differernt reasons and long may it remain .

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Plain Janie

Plain Janie LostCousins Member

For the internet, I use Safari and Chrome on a Mac
    When Oops appears,
    I delete all in History.
    Then go afresh into the site from previously stored Bookmark.
    [Works like good, old-fashioned "Off and On again".]

Tho' if you're using History to store your bookmarks, then the above not recommended. Smiley face.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Using bookmarks can be the cause of problems - I just type in FamilySearch. Haven't had any problems yet.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

This original posting by me is from 26th July 2015, since then I have had no trouble with Family Search, but thanks Plain Janie for your comment.